Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Benefits of Sewing

Learn to sew. You don't have to be so good that you do intricate quilt work or make all of your own clothes. If you just learn some sewing basics you can save yourself a whole lot of money (or at least a lot of little expenses here and there).

The strap adjuster on my son's backpack broke the other day. Using my seam ripper (the most important tool a seamstress can have) I was able to remove the old piece and sew on a new one. It took me about 45 minutes. I only needed to know how to stitch forwards and backwards. For all of you who are trying to think about how much money I saved, here is a conservative estimate:

This backpack new (but on super-duper clearance) = $3.50
The new plastic piece (it comes in a 2-pack) = $1.29 for 2

So, even if I could find another cheap backpack, it would still be cheaper to fix it myself.

Now, don't even let yourself think that I have some great expensive machine. I don't. In fact, I have the cheapest [adult] machine that Target has to offer. It works great! The machine I had before the one I have now was not so great so if you are looking to buy don't buy this one. It is also important to remember that sewing is more forgiving than you might think. If you look inside of some of the things I have made you would be amazed at how great it looks from the outside. Sew, go sew (if you don't know how, I am sure that you can find a friend who will give you a hand).

2 comments:

Deb said...

You are amazing, Nicole!! I love how easy you make everything sound. Maybe someday I will learn how to sew. Every time I have attempted, I get frustrated. I think it's probably the perfectionist in me. :)

Sofia D. Hoiland said...

What kind of sewing machine do you use and love? I have that Singer and cry anytime I want to do a project because it always gets jammed on me.